Both men and women need to look after their sexual health and take time to understand the issues that surround contraception and sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
For instance there are some STIs, like chlamydia, that you could be carrying without having any symptoms. This infection can affect fertility, so it's important to make use of the sexual health services available for free on the NHS.
- Sex & Young People: A comprehensive guide to the questions you may have about sex from the NHS
- FPA - The Sexual Health Charity: Sexual health advice and information on contraception, sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy choices, abortion and planning a pregnancy.
There are so many different types of contraception available that you should be able to find the right method. You may have to try several different things before you choose the one you like most.
- NetDoctor: A Family Planning specialist writes about the different types of contraception, the benefits and pitfalls and how effective they are
- Contraception - NHS: Information on Contraception from NHS Choices including why, when and how it should be used and with links to other useful resources.
Chlamydia is the most commonly diagnosed sexually transmitted infection among under-25s. Often there are no symptoms, but testing and treatment are simple.
Causes and risk factors Chlamydia is usually passed from one person to another during vaginal, oral or anal sex, or by sharing sex toys. It can live inside cells of the cervix, urethra, rectum and sometimes in the throat and eyes.
- NHS - focus on Chlamydia: Information, videos and advice from the NHS website
These links all come from trusted resources but if you are unsure about these or any other medical matters please contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.